Monday, February 8, 2010

3 Defensive Mechanisms

There are 8 defensive mechanisms that include
-Projection (push blame on someone else)
-Rationalization (excuses)
-Displacement (Take anger out on someone else)
-Conversion (emotion become physical problem)
-Regression (act like a little kid)
-Idealization (place high importance on item)
-Fantasy (imagine and try to escape problem)

Out of these 8 one of the 3 mechanisms that I experienced was Projection.
As I was growing up, I would get into a lot of trouble at times. I have a little sister and a little brother. One time, My mom just got done mopping up the floor. I tried making juice even if i was pretty small. I spilled the juice on the floor on accident. My mother got mad and asked what happened. I got scared and blamed it on my little sister. My mother just re-mopped the floor and let it go.

The second mechanism that I experienced was Rationalization. On some mornings, I am very, very tired. It would be my own fault because I would go to bed really late that night. One of my parents would wake me up and I would have an excuse ready for them. I would tell them that I have a headache, but really I just wanted to sleep in.


The last mechanism would have to be Conversion. I recently went on a school trip to Juneau. On one of the last days there, we had to show our project to everybody in the group. I didn't really want to go in front of everyone and start talking. So i sort of felt sick. I told the teacher to sit me out because I wasn't feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment