Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Active Listening

There are two types of listening. One of these two is "active listening". Active listening is when you are paying attention, focused, and learning from whoever is speaking.

A time where I was actively listening was during the Juneau trip (Close-Up). A couple of students and I went on this trip to learn and experience the branches of law and sit in meetings with the state's senators, legislators, committee, and governor. Active listening was crucial during this trip. I didn't know a thing about government before going on this trip. I learned how a bill is formed and passed. I learned what positions there are in the judical branch. We also did activities. We contra danced, which was a first. We had to listen to directions from the Contra Instructor to form the dance. So there was active listening involved in that. We even went snowboarding, which was another first, so we were instructed by an experienced snowboarder. I ALMOST learned how, but I couldn't turn left or right.

No comments:

Post a Comment